Friday, January 7, 2011

Last Day of Camp

WE JUST FINISHED ENGLISH CAMP!!!
However... Even though a lot of us are glad that the early mornings and general exhaustion is done and over with, a lot of us are sad that we're saying goodbye to these kids.

For me, it was a difficult start. I had twelve 1st and 2nd graders, ranging in age from 6 to 8. It was super difficult to get the kids together and pay attention - especially since I don't know Korean. But by the end of the week, I really fell in love with the kids. Some learned the verses quickly and others did the opposite motion to the dance songs (moving right instead of left) and some kids were just plain difficult. With the range in kids, my energy was always drained by 3pm.

We had a huge celebration today which involved our skits (which we created and practiced this week) and an award ceremony for our best students and winning team. For the skits, each team had to present a story, memory verse, song, prop, and speaking some sentences in English. My team did the story of the "Wise man and the foolish man." I was so proud of my team when they finished their entire presentation, and a mom of one of my little boys came to the team to share her pride in her boy (he was the foolish man in the skit and said in English: "I am the foolish man!" :) ).

Even though is was really rough at the beginning for all of us, it ended well. I'm super encouraged and proud of my kids, and I really wish I could have more time with them!

Tomorrow, we all plan to have a last and final dinner celebration with our host families, the English Ministry staff, all the teachers and teaching assisstents. It will be difficult to say goodbye to them as well, but I'm glad a lot of them have already found me on facebook. :)

~Rachel Israel

1 comment:

  1. so glad to hear the end was good! I am so proud of you guys! I was praying for you guys and thinking about you every day! Enjoy your last dinner with your host families!
    -E.Scott Feather

    ReplyDelete